Friday, January 16, 2009

Children are Replaceable, Jewelry is NOT!

Oh wait, scratch that, it is the other way around, I think.

So, here is how my Birthday started... Andrew left his robe lying in the family room after prayers last night, so I went to hang it up in the bathroom. While I was there I noticed my wedding band on the counter... alone! Where was my engagement ring? Andrew is good at remembering things so I called him upstairs. I calmly showed him the band and asked if he'd seen the other part. Yep, he said and took me into my bathroom to show me where he said he had left it. He said he was wearing it last night and took it off when he brushed his teeth.

Now, you may ask, why did he have my ring in the first place... every day for 15 years I have taken my rings off when I go to bed... and every day for 15 years they have been on the nightstand where I put them. None of my children have ever touched them... I never expected to have him do it now.

The ring was not on the counter... as you could have guessed. I searched the garbage next to the counter and even pulled the sink apart... no luck. However, in the sink trap there were 2 earrings. I took the earrings and put them where Andrew said he left the ring. I hit them, where did they go... into the toilet!!! I knew I would never see my ring again.

So, despite the tears, tearing the house apart trying to find the ring, crying myself silly, it was still my birthday, therefore, I had plans to go out to eat with my friends. Gerald knew how upset I was, so he came home from work to continue to look. He searched, called the insurance company, and a plumber. Pretty much coming to the same conclusion I had... the ring was gone!

Now, let me say here, the ring is nothing special... the diamond is small and the setting is simple, but it is MY ring. It was given to me 15 years ago by the man I love because HE loved me... and therefore, I love IT! As I contemplated buying a new one, I couldn't fathom having a different ring... it is NOT REPLACEABLE!

Poor Andrew, he thought he was going to go to jail for stealing my ring... he was more upset than I was... and I have to say... I didn't help! I never even tried to comfort him (and probably put the jail idea into his head in the first place).

Long story short, or a little shorter anyway, I went to lunch... Gerald and the kids searched. I noticed on my way out my kitchen floor REALLY needed swept... mental note, sweep when I get home. Gerald noticed the floor REALLY needed swept... mental note, sweep before the plumber comes or Kathryn will be embarrassed. Jessica noticed the kitchen floor really needed swept, but also noticed a little shiny thing at the edge of the floor and the railing... MOM's RING!!! So, if only I had taken the 2 minutes... or Gerald had gotten to it in all his haste... but we hadn't. Gerald had barely enough time to call the insurance company back and tell the plumber not to come, and I got the best birthday present EVER (who says re-gifting is a bad thing)... and from now on, the ring goes in the Jewelry Box, not just next to it!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

okay- you had me worried there- woohoo! I would have killed him before I found it, and then regretted it :)

lindsay

Tamaratravel said...

Wow, at least you can get the ring off your figure on a nightly basis..I'm lucky to still have circulation....hey ..you did get the kids united in some event...